I Was The Perfect Mom…

You know- before I actually was a mom.

Read my new TODAY Moms blog post about the tyranny of perfection.

13 Responses to 'I Was The Perfect Mom…'

1. zoe zolbrod says:

Sing it sister! Great post. Catchy title.

2. Brooke Lane-Ohm says:

Thank you sooooo much for this blog! It made me feel a lot better to know I’m not the only mom out there (I have an 8 month old son)who had these ideals of what I would be doing when my baby came….wow! what an eye-opener – especially since most moms don’t confess to not being “perfect”…if anything is ever perfect. Right now, my house is a mess and my life is soooo unorganized, but I love being with my son and spending time with him that everything else comes second. Thank you again and I am printing this out so I can hang it on my board to read it whenever life seems to get really hectic. Many blessings to you and your family.

Brooke Lane-Ohm

I write this on a table covered with laundry! Blessings back to you.

• Brooke Lane-Ohm says:

Hi Jillian! came across this post (I forgot I did it)…it’s almost a year later, my son is 20 mnths old and life is still hectic and my house is still a mess! But, I’ve learned to accept it and the most important aspect in my life is to make sure me and my family are happy!

3. Lesley says:

Hi Jillian. Just want to say that I can relate to your posts about parenting a challenging child, and mine is not adopted. Her attachment problems (opposite of T’s rejection–she can’t stop clinging) probably stem from her sensory processing issues. In any case, we’ve gone through so much of the same stuff–ending the day in tears and feeling helpless; screaming when we don’t want to, and feeling guilty about it; trying something new and celebrating small accomplishments; then being back in the thick of it. Plus she’s got a twin brother who doesn’t have her issues but is challenging because of his incredible energy level and normal toddler pain-in-the-ass stuff, and then they feed off each other’s energy. But I know from the difference between my two that one is just in a whole different category of hard, and ineffective parenting will not only not work, it will come back to bite you. Anyway, your posts are moving and you are not alone!

T has sensory processing issues, too. Thanks for your solidarity. Saying a prayer for a peaceful and connected day tomorrow. For both of us!

4. Lesley says:

Also, my own twin sister’s addiction has led to her being mentally ill and homeless, and your prayer that you can give your son the tools he needs is one I make regularly.

5. I so hear you on this one. In fact, I recently said this exact same thing on my blog. It’s amazing how awesome of a mom I was before we met our sweet boy- truly, I rocked it. Then, well. Then. Hell, I just wrote a post in which I shared the story of almost losing my son to the raging river. Would it have happened if I had made a different choice? If I would have been clearer with my expectations? If I wouldn’t have been gently teasing him? Sometimes I forget that life is life is life- and that I won’t make the right decisions (probably most of the time?).

Anyway- great post!

6. faith says:

This is a great post. I wish I would have taken that “Super Mom Class” that teaches you organizational, time management, selflessness skills WHILE having PMS or three hours of sleep. I guess the biggest lesson for us all is that of flexibility however those ones of patience, non-judgement, compassion, patience…are damn beneficial, too! Wish I could see Mother Tongue..will someone record it possibly?

7. Jenn-O says:

I always say, ‘Before I was a mom I knew everything about parenting. Now I know I knew nothing.’
    Thanks for the post!

8. danica says:

you are so cool, jillian lauren. i loved this article. xoxoxoxo.