My Tedx Talk!

Here is the talk I gave at Chapman University, about adoption and the role of imagination in forming our identities. Hope you enjoy it! Please pass it along if you do.

6 Responses to 'My Tedx Talk!'

1. Lisa Weisman says:

I have been reading your blog for a while and have never left a comment. I just wanted to thank you for that amazing talk. It was so beautiful.

2. Dawn says:

thank you! What a beautiful talk and thank you for sharing!

3. Kerry says:

This was fabulous and so beautiful. I shared it with my children by adoption. It resonated so much. Thanks for being brave and imaginative and taking the plunge!

4. 我是收养 says:

At 10:19, Jillian Lauren mentions the “Global Orphan Crisis” and quotes UNICEF’s orphan statistic at 153 million. The UNICEF definition of “orphan” includes children who have lost one or both of their parents. According to UNICEF less than 10% of those “orphans” have actually lost both parents, and evidence clearly shows that the vast majority of orphans are living with a surviving parent, grandparent, or other family member. The definition of an adoptable orphan in most westernized countries is a child who has lost both parents. And it is this discrepancy in definition that has allowed the emergence of the purported “Global Orphan Crisis.” Quote from UNICEF website: “UNICEF’s ‘orphan’ statistic might be interpreted to mean that globally there are 132 million children in need of a new family, shelter, or care. This misunderstanding may then lead to responses that focus on providing care for individual children rather than supporting the families and communities that care for orphans and are in need of support.”

As this talk was about the role of imagination in identity formation- a particular aspect of adoption- I didn’t have time to go into the complexities of orphan statistics. I did, however, acknowledge near the end of the talk that adoption is not the solution to the world orphan crisis. While I do not have time to get into it in the talk, I am tremendously committed to supporting at-risk families around the world, and to preventing children from being orphaned by poverty.

5. Jamie Ivey says: